Gas safety

Faulty gas appliances or pipework can cause fires or carbon monoxide poisoning. That’s why it’s important for your boilers, meters, cookers and gas fires to be serviced every year by accredited engineers.

If you smell gas

  • Call the National Gas Emergency number 0800 111 999.
  • Make a note of your incident number to help any follow-up work by One Housing.
  • Don't smoke or light matches.
  • Don't turn electrical switches on or off.
  • Open doors and windows.
  • Turn off the meter at the control handle, unless the meter is in the cellar.

Gas safety checks for tenants

  • As a landlord, it's our responsibility to carry out gas safety checks on any One Housing gas appliances and the pipework in the homes we rent every year. We'll also service these appliances each year.
  • We'll contact you two months before the service is due to arrange the visit. It’s essential that you let us into your home to carry out these checks.
  • You can also call us on 0300 123 9966 or email to book or re-arrange the visit.
  • All our engineers are Gas Safe registered and carry an ID card with their personal licence number and photograph. Do check their ID, call the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit Gas Safe Register to check the credentials of the engineer or business.
  • After the service, you’ll receive a certificate called a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record that confirms the results of the check.

Tenants’ appliances

  • We aren't responsible for tenants’ own appliances, including cookers.
  • You should arrange for your appliances to be serviced by a Gas Safe-registered engineer every year.
  • We do carry out visual safety inspections, as advised by the Gas Safe Register, which are recorded on the Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate
  • We'll let you know if any action needs to be taken, following the visual check.

Gas safety checks for leaseholders or shared owners

  • As home owners, you are responsible for maintaining your gas appliances. Gas Safe Register recommends annual servicing by Gas Safe-registered engineers.
  • Consult the Gas Safe Register to find suitably-qualified engineers in your area to carry out the checks.